Friday, August 28, 2009

something about ducks in a row...

Phew!

I haven't turned on my personal computer since I unpacked my things from Oregon. How long ago was that? About two months ago. Seriously? How on earth did I do that? There once was a point where I wouldn't go a day with out opening my antique of an iBook, and I realized that I actually had to look for my computer. I didn't know where it was... Seriously? Seriously. That has got to change. It was long over due for updates, and a little revamping.... New wallpaper, new settings, new updates... Fresh. It feels nice. And it moves faster than it did before too. Happy day! That's why I didn't want to use it much in the first place!

Tegan is in the crib, and is pretty much sleeping through the night. In her own crib. By herself. Sure, I still soothe her to sleep, but once she's in there, she sleeps like a rock. And it makes for a happy Mandy. It gives me time to open my computer, spend an hour updating it, and take the time to post something that doesn't sound crazy.

I can't believe how big she is getting! She's pulling herself to stand already and climbs all over the place. Bath time is the best time ever. I can put her in there with a few toys, and she'll splash around for ten minutes before she'll realize what she's in there for. She loves the water, just like her mommy. She giggles and laughs all the time, and is getting a lot of personality. I can't believe it! It makes me smile to know that I made her, and that I'm helping her learn and grow. With the help of some friends and family of course.... But she is part me. And I love her.

When I was getting ready for my first shift by myself last night at my new awesome job, she was playing around in the bathroom. I was trying to do my hair, and she was working on pulling down my pants, because that's the cute thing to do when you're a baby. When you're older, it's not something you can get away with as easily. She uses whatever she can to try to pull herself up to stand the best she can. She'll be walking before I know it... In about a week she'll be 7 months old... Good lord... I still can't believe it...

Anyway, she was working on pulling down my pants, and was doing the usual giggling baby babble that she always does when she's having fun. I looked down at her and this is what happened...

"Hey pretty lady! What are you doin' down there?"
"MOM!"

My eyes got as wide as golf balls.

"What did you just say?"
"MOMOMOMOMOMOM!" Followed by a squeal and a giggle.

I was so excited! Her first real word! Kinda... Maybe. I had a huge grin on my face and I ran upstairs to show my mom and of course she just sat there. Like a baby. Laughed and smiled and all that, but no words.

But tonight on the other hand... We were going back downstairs after our neighbors had rang the doorbell and my mom was walking back into the kitchen. She turned to Tegan and did the usual, "I'm talking to a little thing" face and voice, and said "Hi!" and Tegan said it right back. No hesitation. She had a huge smile on her face and giggled again. My daughter is amazing. She's been saying "Mom" all day but not of course when I want her to do it. Things seem to happen when you least expect them.

She's been doing great staying with my neighbor, who is, no joke, officially dubbed the baby whisperer. They get along great! I wish that she could watch Tegan all the time. I really can't believe how big she's getting... Seriously.

So, let me give some details about the new job. I love it.

The people on my floor are awesome. I get along with them great! And it's not half as hard as I expected. I just need to work on my time management and get into a system, which always takes time at a new job. The paycheck isn't too shabby either. I'm getting a lot more than I did before and that makes everything so much more awesome. Not to mention several patients that tell me I'm going to be an amazing nurse. That makes it so much more meaningful. And I am constantly learning! I love it. It keeps my brain going.

The night shift is taking some getting used to for sure. But it's not as bad as other people say it is. Not to mention the pay increase. I do feel bad waking patients up to do what I need to do, but they don't seem to mind. They get used to the crazy workings of a hospital, just like I am.

Two patients last night had me laughing pretty good... Well, they all did, but I had two experiences that I think are okay to share.

There is an older gentleman, in his seventies, who I had worked with a couple times before. I went in at 4AM to get his vital signs, and when he woke up this is what happened....

"Oh, hello there Mandy. I was just having a dream about you."

Uh........

"Oh really? What was it?"

He smiled a little bit, closing his eyes again and responded in his raspy sick voice, "It was like a movie."

"Like you were watching a movie?" At this point I was taking his blood pressure and about ready to leave the room because I wasn't really sure where he was going with it...

"Yeah. We were in this really old house and you knocked on the door with a bunch of other people and you were all running around trying to kill me......." And he laughed.

I had to admit, I laughed a little too. It was a lot better than the type of dream I was expecting him to tell me.

"Ha ha, I'm not going to try to kill you. I promise. In fact, I'm trying to do the opposite."

Drugs make you have crazy dreams.

My other patient that I had a bit of fun with was trying to set me up with the male nurse I was working with that night. Ha ha, too bad he's married. With four kids. So not gonna happen. But he was very nice and kept telling me I was amazing. And if I was 20 years older we could have gotten married.

Okay... Bed time. Now that I'm actually using my computer, I should hopefully try to post more. Motivation or something.... I'm still getting stuff worked out for Spring Semester at the U. Super excited! I haven't gotten my acceptance letter yet... but I'm pretty sure that I'm in because I went already a couple years ago. Oh oh! And next time, I'll have a very impressive update dealing with the brown boot. That's right, another cliffhanger. I'm sure I won't leave you hanging as long this time...

No comments: