Thursday, January 22, 2009

thirty-six weeks down... four to go. damn.

Another week, another baby doctor visit.  Which doesn't seem so bad... really.  Today, she poked around in my area, did a culture swab for some special bacteria.... I am 75% effaced, and already starting to dilate.  But, I could stay that way for a long time... It's getting closer and closer.  More appointments every month, means that I'm that much closer to the due date, and that much closer to having this baby in my arms instead of rubbing the left side of my uterus raw.  And yes, that is as awesome as it sounds...

My ribs are killing me.  My back feels like it's broken.  I can't breathe.  I pee all the time.  I can't sleep.  I can't do anything to get comfortable.... Blah blah blah.  You know what the baby doctor says about all of it?

"Congrats!  You're pregnant!  When this is all over, we'll talk about some birth control."

My response?

".... I was on birth control."

"Oh.... We'll talk about different birth control then."

Hmmm.... Thanks lady.  Let's make sure this doesn't happen again for a while.

It really isn't so bad.  I know it will all be worth it in the end.  She'll be here, and I'll love her more than anyone or anything.  And I still won't get any sleep, but I'm sure she'll be good company.  It is harder to do it with one less person... Actually, I wouldn't know what it's like to do it with that extra person there, so either way, it's going to be hard.  The nursery is almost ready... It's already stocked with clothes and some relatively educational toys... The designs and quotes are getting planned to paint on the walls.  She'll be here soon... And I'm still in shock that I'm pregnant in the first place.

Baby daddy update?  None.  He hardly talks to me, and when he does, it's about him.  And he asks how the baby and I are doing as an after thought.  I know how to pick 'em don't I?  Boo that man!  BOO!

Speaking of....

I'm getting memories jogged up again for another blog that will be all about former relationships, and the lessons I learned from each experience.  Most of it will all be from Mr. Brown Boot, because he is the one that I spent most of the time with and the one that I gave pretty much all of my heart to.  And the one I learned the biggest lessons from.... And the one that I'm still not totally over.  Pathetic, I know.  It will probably be titled something along the lines of.... "From Happily Ever After... To Never Gonna Happen".... Still working on the over all idea.  So look for that along with, "Is This A Fairy Tale, Or A Nightmare" which is all about the Florida journey.  I've decided that it's time to get all this stuff out along with the lessons I've learned so I don't forget later.  I've been through a lot.  Really.  And the whole point was so I could learn from it all, and I did.  I wouldn't take any of it back for the world.

Recently, I heard some news.  Something that should seem like fantastic news to me, but in reality it made me sad.  Brown Boot and his girlfriend broke up.  Why?  Because he's still scared of commitment.  He wants freedom, but he wants to feel wanted by someone.  He wants to be like his dad in all the good ways, but he's picking up too many bad things along with it, that he's turning into the person he doesn't want to be.  

I have no idea who this guy is, or what happened to the gentleman that would pull over to watch a sunset with me, or to randomly pick a flower from someone's yard for me.  The times that were simple, but filled with complicated emotions... Those are all gone.  The people that were involved are totally different now.  He doesn't know who I am anymore... In many ways I haven't changed, but I've grown a lot, and I know what mistakes were made.  I've lived, learned, and tried to move on.

So why is it sad for me that this couple broke up?  It really shouldn't have any influence on me or my life.  I shouldn't be letting it get to me.  But for some reason, it's easier to move on when I know that the person I'm trying to leave behind has someone else and is totally out of reach.  When there is no chance of seriously being with them.  When they're single, it's harder.  You think, maybe they'll come around.  Maybe they'll miss me and pick up the phone and call.  Maybe, what if, someday....  Technically, you could have the "maybe" even if they have someone else they climb into bed with every night... but it's so much harder for me to think of maybe, when someone else has the maybe instead of me.

Hearing this news, made my body shake.  I couldn't control it, and I wasn't cold.  I cried simple tears that swelled in my eyes streamed down my face... But I still tried to hold my cool when I talked to my friend about it... I asked if he was okay, and what happened... Asked if they would get back together, or if it was just one of those fights... 

"No, they're done.  He just didn't want to do it anymore."

My super adult "I've totally moved on" response?

"Everyone deserves a chance to be happy.  I just hope he doesn't keep ruining it for himself.  He has already missed out on a lot because he holds himself back in more ways than one."

Super adult, right?  Look at me and my bad self.  I did mean it though... every word.

The same thing that happened with me.  He was terrified of commitment, and terrified of not having balance.  I knew what his mind was thinking, and I knew how hurt she probably was.  And more than anything, I wanted to reach out to him and say something... Let him know that I was there for him if he needed me.  My mind kept running back and forth between my options.  Should I write him?  Leave it alone?  Back and forth, back and forth... and it was driving my brain crazy... Finally, I decided to talk to someone, instead of letting it put me into a depressing funk for the next few weeks, which was the last thing I needed in this next month...

Here's the texting that went on the next day after I found out and decided to get my mind going...

"How are you holding up?"

"I was in a lot of pain, so that distracted me.  And then I remembered that he said he would never talk to me again if I got pregnant with some else's baby.  Which made me sad.  But it also makes me wonder if he ever thinks or asks about me.  And then again, I'm sure I wouldn't want to know.  Then I think, maybe I should say hi and let him know that I'm here to listen if he needs me.  And then I change my mind.  It's just been running in circles and has gotten me no where.  Pain is distracting though.  Which sucks and helps at the same time.  He just confuses me, that's all.  And I don't even need to talk to him for him to confuse me."

"I know it's hard and confusing but I don't think it will do you any good to talk to him.  It always ends up hurting you one way or another."

"Yeah, that's what I figure.  I'm here if he needs me.  And I miss him every day.  But that doesn't change what happened.  At least there's more confirmation that it wasn't all my fault that it didn't work out.  My head just keeps going back to that lady in the coffee house that said I found my soul mate, but we needed time apart and to have other relationships before we would be together again.  But I'm tired of reaching out to him and having him shove my arms away.  Not fair.  He hasn't tried that for me, so why should I keep trying for him?  No more hurting.  Maybe after more time.  Like when I stop shaking uncontrollably when I think about him.  Good plan."

"Darling, it's time to let that go.  He isn't who you fell in love with anymore.  I know you will always hold on to those memories and you should, but it's been long enough now that it's time.  You are allowed more than one soul mate.  I was once told that soul mates aren't meant to be the person you love and marry.  They seem more like your best friend.  You can't marry your soul mate, because you're too a like...  Basically the same person.  You have to end up with someone who has more differences than similarities.  I thought it was interesting in a way.  And it kinda makes sense.  But you have bigger things to worry about than ***.  Let go."

"You're my soul mate... ;)  It just makes me sad.  He and I are so different now.  I'm really not even close to the same person he knew.  And he left so many scars...  I don't think he has any idea.  But it's time to stop ripping out the stitches and picking at the scabs.  They'll always be there, but they need time to heal.  If for whatever reason, our lives match up one day, then so be it.  But I'm honestly not planning one being with anyone.  Which is smart.  And yeah, I'll miss the person I used to know.  Just hopefully not every day for the rest of my life.  But that person is gone now.  I just seriously hope he gets his head on straight and realizes the damage that he has done before it's too late for him.  He keeps making the same mistakes and blames someone else.  Ga.  Whatever.  He'll always be that gay 80's rockstar to me that would stop on the side of the road to pick me flowers and watch sunsets in construction sites.  I'd rather have those memories than the bitter ones."

"I still don't understand why you think you're going to end up alone."

"I just don't want to set myself up for disappointment... I'd rather plan on not having anyone there than expect someone to be there and have my heart broken again...."

"You and I are built for love, darling.  And that's why this is going to be the best loved baby in the world... and when the time is right, you'll fall in love with someone as amazing as you are."


That's why she's my person.  Sometimes, you just need to talk to someone about what's going on in your head to get it all out there.  With out this girl, I would probably be in a psyche ward or something... no joke.  I'm dealing with it so much better than I thought I would... Sometimes I still get the urge to write Brown Boot... and then I decide against it.  I have different things that I need to focus on...

Anyway... More to come later.  One day, it will all be but a memory.

Picking the weeds and keeping the flowers...



1 comment:

Amanda said...

I love you! you are so amazing. Head up. Dry cheeks. Smile when you can or when there is something to smile about. My virtual shoulder/ cross country shoulder is always here. You my dear are my person and the best friend a girl could have. Love and adore you. xoxo.
-A