Thursday, April 8, 2010

we all need a moment. to scream.

I kind of wish I got pictures of it...

Seriously.

She was running around the apartment, picking up things just to throw them. Screaming just to scream.

I let her let it out.

She kept picking up her blanket just to throw it down as hard as she could. She pulled things off the shelf, because she could.

And she screamed for 45 minutes.

I tried to hold her, tried to snuggle her and calm her down. But, no. She pushed herself away from me.

up.
down.
up.
down.
up.
down.
up.down.

I let her run and scream and cry and throw her temper tantrum. Because what else could I do? Every once in a while, we all just need a chance to scream. We get angry with the world, and want to yell at all the stupid people. When we're little, we have the chance to go crazy and scream without people looking at us with a raised eyebrow. With children, it's okay for them to stop their feet and yell at the top of their lungs because they want THAT candy bar.

So I let her. Silently, with my arms folded. I let her scream. I didn't yell back. I calmly told her she needed to stop and calm down, and kept trying to hold her.

And before long, she was done being mad. She was done yelling and screaming. And then she crawled into my arms and played with my hair while we watched Winnie the Pooh's Blustery Day.

And it was quiet.

And all was right with the world.

And next time I have the urge to scream, I'm going to. You can look at me all weird if you want to. But we all just need the chance to scream.

2 comments:

Alli said...

I scream when I'm alone in the car. True story.

Alli said...

I scream plenty when I'm alone in the car. True story.